Coffee & Salted Caramel Meringues
One of my favourite recipes that I use, not only at home, but also at work. Who doesn’t love gooey, chewy meringue? These mini delights are infused with instant espresso, giving a bitter oomph to the sweet, marshmallowy meringue, whipped cream and toasted hazelnuts – a delicious coffee break treat to keep you going whilst working from home.
You’ll need (makes 8-10 mini meringues):
200g caster sugar
50g soft light brown sugar
2 tsp of instant espresso powder
Pinch of cream tartar
4 egg whites
100g toasted chopped hazelnuts
For the salted caramel sauce:
175g light soft brown sugar
300ml double cream
½ tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 140°c.
2. Line baking trays with baking parchment.
3. Combine the 200g of caster sugar and 50g of light brown sugar, the espresso powder and cream of tartar in a bowl then set aside for now.
4. Whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl until soft peaks start to form. Then begin combining the sugar & espresso mixture one spoonful at a time, whisking all the time until you start getting a glossy thick meringue.
5. Spoon out 8-10 mini dollops of meringue onto your baking parchment trays.
6. Sprinkle the top of each with 1/2 tsp of chopped hazelnuts and place in the oven for around 45 minutes, until baked on the outside, leaving the centres gooey.
7. Whilst the meringues are baking in the oven, combine all the salted caramel sauce ingredients in a saucepan set over a low heat, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Turn the heat up and bubble the sauce for 2-3 mins until golden and syrupy. Leave to cool for 10 mins before serving. (These can be made up to 3 days in advance and chilled – just gently reheat to serve.)