Especially now during lockdown I have been going though my recipe book, in order to find some ideas for sweet treats for my children. I came across this ''always working'' Oreo like recipe. Its very quick and easy to make, try it out and let me know what you think.
260 g plain flour
160 g sugar
230 g butter
1.5 g baking soda
90 g unsweetened cocoa powder (for the deep black colour, I have used Van Houten Intense Deep Black Cocoa Powder from Keylink)
1. In a medium bowl place the flour, sift in the cocoa and baking powder, mix till combined.
2. Place the butter in the bowl and on the medium speed mix until smooth. Add the sugar and mix for about 2 minutes, until fluffy.
3. Add the dry ingredients in 2 additions, mixing on low speed. Mix, until the dough begins to come together.
4. Mould the dough on the work top and, push it together into a square like block. Leave in the fridge for 1 h.
5. Heat the oven at 160 C.
6. You will need rolling pin, baking parchment or slip mat.
7. Place the dough in between slip mats/baking paper and begin to flatten it with the rolling pin.
8. Roll out a 1/8 thick sheet of dough (if the dough will become too soft, put it back into the fridge).
9. Using the fluted cutter, cut rounds from the dough.
10. Use palette knife if needed to lift the dough.
11. Place the rounds on the sheet pans.
12. Bake for about 14-15 minutes.
Butter Icing Ingredients:
300 g icing sugar
200 g butter
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1. In the mixing bowl beat butter till fluffy, then add icing sugar and vanilla.
2. Place in the piping bag and pipe on the reversed side of the cooled biscuits.
3. Close with other biscuit.