One of the most exiting skills I have learned, while working in hotels kitchens is the art of macaron. I have been practicing it for over 6 years now, and let’s be honest... it might go wrong, but when you will perfect it, the great feeling of satisfaction will come.
Perfectly chewy inside filled with cream... absolute classic!
212 g almond flour
212 g icing sugar
82 g egg whites
90 g egg whites
158 ml water
236 g Caster sugar
Before starting make sure you have a sugar thermometer, pipping bag, plain nozzle and preferably silicon baking mats, if not baking paper will do. You will also need plat baking trays.
1. Sift the almond flour and icing sugar into a large bowl and incorporate together.
2. Make a well in the centre and pour 82 g of egg whites into it.
3. Combine with a spatula until the mixture looks smooth. Leave aside.
4. Place 90 g of egg whites in the mixer bowl.
5. Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan and heat until the syrup will reach 203 C.
6. Letting the syrup cook, start whisking whites until start forming soft peaks.
7. When the syrup reaches 248 C, remove the pan from the heat and slowly start pouring it into whites.
8. Meringue will deflate a little, but keep whisking for next 5 minutes or until glossy.
9. Fold 1/3 of the mix into the almond-flour mix and incorporate. Add food colouring.
10. Keep adding bit at a time, until the batter will start forming ribbons.
11. Mixture shouldn’t be stiff, but shouldn’t be too lose either.
12. Try to pipe the same size of the macarons.
13. Tap lightly trays with the pipped macaron batter and leave to skin for 20 minutes.
14. Pre-heat the oven at 170 c.
15. Turn the oven down to 160 C, when putting trays in.
15. Bake for 10 minutes.
16. When baked, leave on the side to cool down.
For the Almond Cream:
75 g almond flour
7 g plain flour
75 g unsalted butter, room temperature
75 g icing sugar
45 g eggs
1. Sift almond flour and plain flour, and combine together, making sure that all the lumps are broken down.
2. Place butter in the mixer bowl with paddle attachment and mix. Until the butter is the consistency of the mayonnaise and hold soft peaks when the paddle is lifted.
3. Add icing sugar and mix on the low speed. Mix till fluffy. Scrape sides from time to time.
4. Add vanilla seeds.
5. Add eggs to the mix and on low speed all combine and smooth, for about 30 seconds.
6. Refrigerate for about 2h. You can warm up slightly before using.